100+ Icebreaker Questions for Interviews + Beyond
What was your first AOL screen name?
"Networking with a group of strangers is so easy," said (almost) nobody ever. In fact, finding commonalities with an entire new group of people with fresh nametags stuck to their lapels can be a real challenge. Enter icebreaker questions.
Icebreaker questions are more than small talk. These are targeted questions that usually require a moment of pause to consider—and answer. Typically, icebreakers yield entertaining and interesting answers. The goal of icebreaker questions is to loosen up a group of people—so that they can get comfortable talking to each other. Since we are all about expanding our soft skill sets, like communication, we decided to put together a list of icebreaker questions—and we got a little carried away.
Delight your audience at your next meeting, networking event, or family gathering by preparing a few icebreaker questions to get conversations rolling! Here are 100+ icebreaker questions. Let's get to bonding!
Pro-tip: The right icebreaker questions can be great for interviews. However, since there are many illegal interview questions, make sure that you are not crossing dangerous boundaries. Questions around age, gender, religion, or race are illegal. Make sure your icebreaker questions are not inappropriate in an interview setting. If there is any doubt, stay away from icebreaker questions during an interview.
Experience Icebreaker Questions
- How many states have you been to?
- What was the name of your first pet?
- What’s the longest flight you’ve ever taken?
- What’s your favorite family tradition, past or present?
- What’s the longest distance you’ve ever walked/run?
- What is the best trip you ever took and why?
- What was the first record you ever bought?
- What color was your childhood bedroom?
- What’s the scariest ride you’ve ever been on?
- Who was your role model as a kid and why?
- When did you first feel like an adult?
- What is the last natural body of water you swam in?
- What was the hardest class you ever took?
- What’s a fact about you that nobody would guess?
- What’s the worst misspelling of your name you’ve ever seen?
- What was the first concert you went to?
- What was the last concert you went to?
- Where is the strangest place you’ve ever fallen asleep?
- Do you have any strange or regional names for things where you come from?
Personality Icebreaker Questions
- If you had to create a slogan for your life, what would it be?
- What was your childhood nickname?
- What is the last show you binge-watched?
- What’s something that everyone else seems to love—that you don’t understand?
- If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would it be?
- What three words describe you best?
- What always makes you laugh?
- What’s your first memory as a child?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- Do you collect anything?
- What celebrities share your birthday?
- When was the last time you turned your phone off or left it at home?
- What was the first thing you remember saving up money to buy on your own?
- What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What is the scariest fear you’ve ever conquered?
- What physical thing (hurricanes, bugs, heights) scares you the most?
- Would you rather have a small dinner party with your 5 closest friends or a giant party with everyone you know and love?
- Do you love or hate surprises?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever given to someone?
- What quality about yourself would you like to pass on to your child?
Theoretical Icebreaker Questions
- If you could invite three people to dinner—living, dead, fictional, or real—who would they be?
- If you had a paid year off work, how would you spend it?
- What does your perfect ice cream sundae look like?
- If you could read one book over and over for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Would you rather be able to fly or be invisible?
- If you could travel to any time period (backward or forward) where would you go?
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
- If you could guest star on any television show, what would it be? Who would you play?
- If you could instantly learn any skill, what would it be?
- If you were an Olympic athlete, what would be your sport?
- If you could (safely) visit any planet, which would it be?
- If you could commission any artist (living or dead) to create art for you, who would you choose?
Favorite Things Questions
- What are your top three favorite songs ever?
- What’s your favorite movie and why?
- What is your favorite television show and why?
- What is your favorite way to unwind?
- What is your favorite book that was read to you as a child?
- What is your favorite book you read in school?
- What is your favorite book as an adult?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- Who is your favorite comedian?
- What’s your favorite sports team?
- What’s your favorite cereal?
- What was your favorite Halloween costume you ever wore?
- Who’s your most/least favorite Disney princess? We know you have one.
- What’s your favorite comfort food?
- Who is your favorite actor/actress?
This or That Questions
- Deep sea or outer space?
- The Beach Boys or The Beatles?
- Hogwarts or Middle Earth?
- Thunderstorms: scary or thrilling?
- Spring, summer, fall, or winter?
- Salty or sweet?
- Yoga or running?
- Coffee or tea?
- Cat or dog?
- Day or night?
- Pancakes or waffles?
- Rain or snow?
- Train or plane?
- Ski, snowboard, or surf?
- Beach or mountain?
- Cook a meal or clean up after a meal?
- Hamburgers or hot dogs?
- Friends or Seinfeld?
- Steve Urkel or Kimmy Gibler?
- Chocolate or vanilla?
- Water or milk?
- Breakfast or dinner?
- Comedy or drama?
- Hot or cold?
- Halloween or 4th of July?
- What would you like to be known for?
- What do you think is the greatest invention in your lifetime?
- What is one life lesson you will never forget?
- What’s your personal heaven?
- What are your parents’ best qualities?
- What, in your opinion, is a fundamental characteristic of a good person?
- Do you believe in luck?
- What do you think dreams are?
- There are now 25 hours in a day—how do you spend the extra hour?
- What was the best part of your day today?
- What is typically your favorite part of a day off from work?
Do you have any great icebreaker questions you like to use? Let us know and we'll add them to the list!