Dollar Shave Club
Los Angeles, CA•EST. 2011•www.dollarshaveclub.com
We’ve all seen the branding and read the clever copy. Dollar Shave Club is on “a mission to build a better bathroom” and redefine how a product gets marketed one pithy tagline at a time. But there’s much more to the company than that...oh, who are we kidding, we’ll just let them explain it. It’ll be more clever that way. “We started with razors way back in 2011, and now millions and millions of members later, we’ve expanded into shave products, skin care, hair styling, with more to come. We’re always growing and reinventing, and we rely on killer talent to help us achieve our goal of owning the bathroom. If you’re a team-playing innovator, you’ll fit right in. A sense of humor helps, too. We work in an open-air, freshly renovated office in the heart of Silicon Beach. As we disrupt industries and unseat corporate giants, our plan is to think big, but stay small. No egos. No jerks. No prima donnas. Just awesome folks who live and breathe collaboration and dig perks like haircuts, weekly food trucks, and team happy hours. And yes, we have snacks.”
- Company Type
- Consumer Goods, Media, Technology
- Number of Employees
- Los Angeles (HQ)
- Key People
- Michael Dubin, CEO
- Adam Weber, Chief Marketing Officer
- Jennifer Longnion, Chief People Officer
- Danny Miles, Chief Engineering Officer
- Coolest Job Title and What they Do
Offer concierge-like service for our members, providing useful tips such as how much hair gel to really use.
Develop strategies to attract new members to the club through social media channels and other paid media.
Front End Engineer
Create web pages that fuse compelling design and current technologies.
- What are the hours like at Dollar Shave Club?
Business hours are 10am-6pm at HQ. Meetings may start before 10am, and go after 6pm, but we expect you to be here during those hours.
- What's one thing about Dollar Shave Club's culture/perks that would surprise most people?
We offer haircuts, car washes, professional career mentoring, massages, and meditation perks.
- But do people actually take time off?
Yes, 2-3 weeks a year on average.
- Does Dollar Shave Club have programs for team bonding? How close IS the team? Are there team lunches? Happy hours? Holiday parties?
We offer weekly catered lunch with farmhouse tables to foster communal dining. Holiday parties and frequent get-togethers and social events.
- Why do women love working at Dollar Shave Club?
We have the opportunity to impact a male-oriented product and e-commerce landscape.
- What type of employee development does Dollar Shave Club offer?
We offer in-house team support and career development services. Subscription to Lynda.com with access to external conferences and education sessions.
- Describe the work culture at Dollar Shave Club.
We're a fun, creative, and quirky bunch who work and play hard, together! Culture is key, and so are relationships. We're all in this together to build the best grooming subscription company on earth.
How To Get Hired Here
- What qualities does Dollar Shave Club look for in a candidate? How can a candidate standout?
People who are collaborators, relationship builders, and have subject matter expertise with small egos.
- How often does Dollar Shave Club hire new people?
- How often does Dollar Shave Club promote from within?
Monthly. We're a growing company with lots of room for growth and opportunities.
- What areas of the company are growing the fastest right now?
Engineering, Marketing, and Creative.
- What’s the interview process like?
After we find a candidate, a recruiter will have a phone screen. Next is the hiring manager phone screen. For the out-of-towners, they'll have a Google Hangout video chat with the hiring manager. Once they pass the initial screen, all candidates come onsite to meet the team. Occasionally a second onsite with a presentation is required.
- Does Dollar Shave Club offer relocation assistance for new employees?
Yes, if the role qualifies for relocation.
- Where does Dollar Shave Club recruit candidates?
The Dollar Shave Club online career's page. Next, LinkedIn, Google searches, Indeed.com, and at in-person events. We recruit nationwide.
- Does Dollar Shave Club ever create positions based on a candidate submission? e.g. Can a candidate apply to work for Dollar Shave Club even if a position isn't open?
- What's the hardest quality to find in an ideal candidate?
Passion for their career or the work they do, without being too cheesy.
- What’s the best way for someone to prepare for an interview at Dollar Shave Club?
Research who we are, and what we sell. We have lots of information out there from our blog to social media to this profile that gives you a background on who we are.
- And how should someone prepare for a job at Dollar Shave Club?
Research us—our history, leadership team, products, etc. Connect with us on LinkedIn. Have a good understanding of the e-commerce landscape we're disrupting.
- Do you look at a candidate's online presence and social media accounts?
We support LinkedIn searching, however sometimes Google searches will deliver content through other social platforms. In other words, make sure your social media accounts are professional!
- Do you have an internship program? If so, does Dollar Shave Club regularly hire interns?
Yes, we hire in the spring for summer internships.
- What questions should candidates ask in an interview?
As many as you like. Just be sure to ask questions and if you want to stand out, ask unique questions. We love getting stumped on a question—it shows us that you did your homework on us!
- What’s one question a candidate should expect to get asked in an interview?
This is probably obvious, but our first question is usually, "Why do you want to work at Dollar Shave Club?" Practice your answer and try to be concise. We don't need a 30-minute answer.
- What’s the interview dress code?
Informal. NO suits. Come in business casual. Jeans, khakis, dress pants, and skirts/dresses. Be comfortable. Sometimes our interviews last for 4 or more hours.
- What’s the typical length of Dollar Shave Club's hiring process?
We try to wrap up in 2-3 weeks.